While Pantone have picked yellow and grey, Etsy's selection for colour of the year is Sky blue. "After such a tumultuous year, shoppers are looking forward to bluer skies ahead," wrote Dayna Isom Johnson, Etsy's Trend Expert. "Hope is on the horizon and there is a renewed sense of gratitude and connection to our communities." A beautiful shade to use in the nursery or a kids bedroom, girl or boy, there's a lot to love about sky blue trending.
Pantone has picked their 2021 Colour of the Year and have again chosen two: Ultimate Grey and Illuminating yellow. Soft greys have always been a popular choice for a gender-neutral nursery, add in the pop of yellow for fun and you're on trend for next year! It's a colour combination that works particularly well for an Aussie themed nursery with the yellow of wattle or a sulphur-crested cockatoo and the grey of out cute furry animals.
July was a busy month as usual with school holidays and EOFY admin but, managed to fit in some new illustrations - sloths! Yay! There are a couple of cute new prints plus an adorable baby onesie and a fun hardcover notebook.
Maybe you are waiting to find out the gender of your little one, it's a shared bedroom or just want to stay away from the traditional blue for boys and pink for girls? A gender neutral nursery is very easy to achieve without appearing bare and bland. Here are our five top tips for a fun gender neutral nursery.
1. Pick a theme that is gender neutral. Themed rooms are always fun. Simply pick something gender neutral such as animals, mountains, under the sea, fruity or twinkle little star.
2. Start with the furniture. As it's probably the most expensive item in the room so start with a crib you like, then change table, storage and seating and build your other choices around that. Aim for furniture that has straight lines and smooth surfaces.
3. Wood adds warmth. Adding wooden elements is a great way to add warmth to a room especially if you are going with a neutral color palette for the walls.
4. Add a statement piece. Emphasize a single element for impact like beautiful artwork, wall paper or a mural. A statement making piece will add drama and interest to a gender neutral nursery.
5. Black and white always works. Add in some bright pops of colour with artwork and furnishings for a bold beautiful nursery.
If you're looking for a great DIY project to keep you busy and brighten up life indoors - check out our gorgeous alphabet safari quilt in collaboration with Devonstone Collection! There is a free pattern here. And you can order all the bits you need to create this adorable quilt from the following online retailers, or fabric panels for other craft projects.
Fabric Panels only
More craft projects...
This gorgeous green kids bedroom with a jungle theme looks like the most amazing space to play in. Faux foliage tiles are tacked to one wall with a dark green paint on another. Keeping the floor light ensures the space doesn't become too dark.
Pantone's pick of Classic Blue for it's 2020 colour of the year makes a beautiful backdrop for a space themed kids room. Team it with yellow and it's a perfect combination for a child's bedroom - not matter how old they are.
Soft greys and blues with just a little pop of colour combine to create a beautiful nursery decor idea.
From the top: A stylish seaside themed bedroom with Scandinavian decor. Sea ocean wave wallpaper and cute stuffed whale via clem around the corner. Whale tail wall hook from Colorful Cast And Crew. Paint in windy blue. Grandpa Whale hand made plush from Big Stuffed.
Whale finger puppet by Petit Felts. Whale rocker from Crate & Barrel. Dream Big Whale print by creative monsoon.
Washi tape isn't just a fun way to display a print in the nursery or kids bedroom, it can be used for all sorts of great decorating ideas. I LOVE this play area where the washi tape has been used to create a little shop, and below a street scene on the floor and walls.
An easy idea to try is a mix of fun tape from shelves like these cloud shaped ones, or just use some bright colours and patterns to hang a print.
Share your love of nature and bring the great outdoors into baby's room with a gorgeous mountain themed nursery. Main pic via brit.co.
welcome to the CREATIVE MONSOON blog, an online rambling of art, illustration and design